Proposed and hosted by Lachlan Madill, this second edition of Urban Nations is about Indigenous People who live or work in the Montreal area. The ten episodes series will feature inspiring persons from different Indigenous Nations who are doing something to maintain their culture along with their identity. Each person in the series explains their upbringing and how their culture helped shape who they are today.
The show explores how it is to be Indigenous and living or working in the Montreal area while keeping strong roots to their home communities and traditions. Urban Nations will show the rich Indigenous cultures which have played an important part of Montreal’s history and will continue to be an important part of the city’s future. While educating people, the show also hopes to dispel stereotypes and get people interested in Indigenous cultures.
Stephen is an Inuk from the North West Territories. He’s a multi-talented visual artist who not only works to help preserve Inuit culture and identity, but wants to make sure that all Indigenous Peoples are represented with dignity. Whether he’s making movies, speaking at schools and universities or working on research projects, Stephen is raising awareness and giving a voice to People who aren’t able to do it themselves.
- Sunday, january 21, 2018 5:30 pm
- Tuesday, january 23, 2018 10:00 am
Phillipe is a Mohawk from Kanesatake who is the Executive Director of Native Montreal. Growing up he was deeply affected by the Oka Crisis in 1990 which, according to him, was the beginning of an awareness of social injustice. Since then he’s been involved in activism, and outreach work. With Native Montreal, he’s now working to make sure Indigenous Peoples in the city are able to improve their lives and have equality.
- Tuesday, january 23, 2018 7:00 pm
- Wednesday, january 24, 2018 12:00 am
- Wednesday, january 24, 2018 5:30 am
- Wednesday, january 24, 2018 11:30 am
- Thursday, january 25, 2018 5:00 am
- Thursday, january 25, 2018 11:00 am
- Thursday, january 25, 2018 5:00 pm
- Thursday, january 25, 2018 11:30 pm
- Friday, january 26, 2018 1:30 pm
- Saturday, january 27, 2018 4:30 am
- Saturday, january 27, 2018 4:00 pm